Wednesday 5 January 2011

Bah Valentine Day

Bah Valentine Day
You've caught me today in one of my darkest moods, but I won't be giving the dreaded Valentine's Day credit for it. For as long as I can remember, Valentine's Day has been my least favorite day of the year, though I have never quite figured out why, and I really don't care to waste time analyzing it.

For the curious who may be interested in "curing me" of my distaste for the "lovey-dovey day of supposed romance", I can tell you that my feelings do not come from lack of male attention on this day in years past, nor lack of love in my lifetime. Perhaps it is because the ORIGINS OF VALENTINE'S DAY (AS I KNOW THEM) "ARE DARK", or because too many lovers, over the years, gave me things on purpose to "get something" (namely, sexual favors) in return...and openly stated their intent, "maybe I'll get lucky tonight, too (smirky smile)", or "have another (alcoholic) drink beautiful woman (wink)", or "I know what you can give ME for Valentine's Day (hint hint)" when I apologized for not having a special gift for them in return.

On the other hand, I've never been into sappy, syrupy romance stuff either...you know, the novels and movies and carriage rides and roses in a vase kinds of things...so maybe my "heart" IS just a big heavy stone object I've been hauling around...a bit of a burden more or less.

I think it is more likely, however, that I view my heart (and body) as being MINE. Not something that can be bought or wooed or won without my total consent. It is certainly not something to be targeted in hopes I will eventually agree to sexual submission. When that is the case, then making love becomes nothing more than a chore I need to get out of the way so the guy in my life will lay off - sort of like doing the dishes, or the laundry begging to be taken care of.

With that said, here are some tips for the guys out there hoping to "get lucky" this Valentine's Day:

Your view of being "loved" is very different from hers. When she allows you to be physically part of her in union, THAT is YOUR total love embrace...but it isn't necessarily hers. Women should be honored and respected for their multi-faceted and unique personalities - let her know that you appreciate the way she smiles when she is watching birds gather at her feeder outdoors, or the care she puts into preparing a meal for the family, or the way she gains pleasure from putting together a care package for the Salvation Army...

Most importantly, don't let your sex drive BE THE THING that DRIVES everything you do for her - she'll figure it out pretty quick and you'll be left with little more than wilting roses and half-eaten chocolates this evening while she curls up in the tub with bubbles, candles and luscious scents, smiling and relaxing, alone with her happy, unburdened heart. ("wink")

"Known in the Pagan Community as the "Green Witch", Polly Taskey is descended from Mary Bradbury (Perkins). She uses her writing talents to bring you PAGAN BY DESIGN BLOG and MESSAGE BOARDS. If reprinted, this byline and links shown here must be included."

0 comments:

Post a Comment