Friday 5 April 2013

Being Seen

Being Seen
I've written before about how sociopaths have an uncanny ability to see, understand, and predict people's likes and behaviors. I've also suggested that if people are trying to throw a sociopath off their scent, they poison the well of information. But even if there isn't a sociopath specifically targeting things, people have mentioned that there is something unsettling about being seen for what you truly are. A reader writes:

I read a blog entry from July 2011 from a reader who is married to a sociopath and is herself an 'uber-empath'. Her comments and your response resonated with me a great deal. You said:

"I think it's really interesting that him being able to see you to your core is a plus in your eyes. Do you think that is atypical for empaths? Don't they like to hide certain parts of them. Isn't that what I sometimes hear marriage self-help types preach? That there should be mystery in marriages? I have sometimes wondered whether that ended some of my relationships. I am always fine seeing people in all their imperfection, but sometimes I think the people I was with were not fine -- did not feel comfortable being laid bare like that."

I don't think 'regular' people do want to be seen so clearly at all, but that it's not something they consciously contemplate or contrive. Life is mostly about being accepted and I think there is a great deal of fear-driven, unconscious shaping of personality in order to avoid rejection. If someone is truly balanced, they will let others 'in' over time and with trust, which is a healthy protective mechanism. They don't have a need to hide parts of themselves but nor do they need to be exposed unnecessarily. People 'just know' when the boundaries of thought processes they are willing to share with others are being intruded upon and will move away from that.

Why don't people want to be seen? I'd guess at vulnerability. For the same reason people don't reveal all their personal information and thoughts to say coworkers or people they've just met, they don't want someone to come along and just 'take' that information from them. I'm just guessing but that may be how people feel if they sense that you know a lot about them that they haven't revealed at will. I'd probably feel that way if I felt that someone who could be a threat to me did it. Someone I shared an apartment with who has many sociopathic traits once told me that "he knew a lot more about me than I thought". At the time, I didn't really know what to make of it and didn't worry too much because I didn't see him doing anything harmful. But when I have thought back to that comment, I find it revealing that he felt the need to let me know that. Only someone wanting to assert power would make such a comment. It was a fairly innocuous attempt at letting me know that he was in charge of things... but some subsequent behaviour revealed that he had a pretty serious sense of grandiosity. Perhaps people feel a loss of control if they feel that you know things about them?

As a uber-empath myself, I do want to be seen in my entirety, flaws and all. Otherwise my relationships are unfulfilling; not complete.

I thrive in emotional environments like funerals and heated arguments, when others don't know what to do. When I saw a friend last week and asked if she was ok (she clearly looked upset to me), she was surprised that I could tell that she was upset and said that no one else seemed to notice. I've heard this before. I can clearly see people's strengths and weaknesses, why they have a certain perspective, and what piece of the puzzle they are missing. But I have no desire to use this against them and feel a much greater degree of responsibility to others than the average person.

I don't know whether my interactions with sociopaths have helped me gain a sense of people. I'd say they've encouraged me to want to understand more and to seek out knowledge about the variety in the emotional lives of others and how they think. As long as I can remember, I always wanted to understand my own mind, because I knew my perspective of things was different from those around me from a young age. This has a lot to do with the family and community I happened to grow up in, which was very bourgeois. I believe my parents are narcissists and that I learned to cater to their emotional needs, so there was training there. Then the efforts to understand my own resulting feelings. But I'd say it also has a lot to do with nature too.

I'd say that in the past, sociopaths have been attracted to me because of my openness, flexibility, willingness to be seen and vulnerability. I was attracted to the intensity I felt and what seemed like deep connections. And to 'being seen'. But the on and off nature of those connections is what can be damaging to empaths, and was to me.

Source: quickpua.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment